The following are questions considered by OSRG when reviewing the proposal budget:
Budget Development and Clearance
- Does the budget accurately reflect the narrative?
- Will the budget cover the project costs?
- Which units and whose personnel at the University are being committed in the budget and have the appropriate individuals been apprised of and approved the submission?
- Are the costs listed in conformance with the sponsor guidelines?
- Do the facilities described in the proposal currently exist? Are they adequate to support the program?
- Does the agency have a written policy requiring cost sharing?
- What is the source of the cost sharing funds?
- Has cost sharing been approved by those authorized to make a commitment?
- If a collaborating institution is unknown to you or not in NIH Top 500 Research Institutions, have its financial stability and reputation been ascertained?
- Has an authorized official approved participation and budget for his/her institution in writing?
- Are the collaborating institution's responsibilities clearly delineated (scope of work)?
- Have you confirmed the collaborating institution's status vis-à-vis the investigator and/or SUU? (No conflict of interest)
- Is the time commitment consistent with his/her academic responsibilities?
- Is the time on the budget commensurate with the activity reflected in the narrative?
- Is the time available to this individual? (check current support)
- Are the people described already employees of the institution? If not, are personnel policies being followed?
- Are the individuals listed as key personnel truly key to the project?
- Are there any individuals listed as consultants who are employees at SUU?
- Is the individual truly serving in a consultant capacity? (Twenty-factor test)
- Is foreign travel distinguished from domestic? (Check sponsor's definition of foreign travel)
- Is the travel properly supported?
- Do requested costs follow sponsor guidelines?
- Will foreign travel conform to the requirements of the Fly America Act?
- Has the equipment been screened for availability elsewhere on the campus?
- Does the equipment have any space or facilities ramification (Is there room for it and is the environment adequate to sustain it?)
Have all ancillary costs been accounted for (installation, renovation, maintenance)? Who is paying for ancillary costs? (cost sharing implications)
- Are the other costs adequate and appropriate? (Possible categories include, but are not limited to: students, materials and supplies, tuition, participant support, printing/duplicating, postage, long-distance/telex, animal care, human subjects payments)
Facilities & Administrative Costs
- Is the calculation of F&A cost consistent with SUU's federally negotiated base and rate as stated F&A agreement?
- If sponsor limits indirect cost recovery, is there an official statement from the funder which indicates the policy on indirect costs? Will the indirect costs require a waiver or will this be an exception? (See the F&A Section in Part 5).