SUU Fire Marshal’s office is committed to fire prevention and life safety. The list below indicates ways in which SUU ensures that the buildings meet fire code and are safe for all students, faculty, and staff.
- Interpreting and enforcing Utah State adopted fire and life safety codes.
- Plan reviews for all proposed construction and remodel projects.
- Annual fire safety inspections for all buildings.
- Quarterly testing and inspection of sprinkler systems.
- Monthly inspections of fire extinguishers in all buildings.
- Kitchen hood cleaning every six months.
- Testing of residential smoke detectors in dorm rooms.
- Annual fire hydrant flow.
Tips to help SUU Fire Marshal’s office meet fire code in buildings:
- No storage above 18” in a building that is sprinkled.
- No storage above 24” in a non-sprinkled building.
- Clear area in front of fire extinguishers and exit discharge.
- Keep fire rated doors from being wedged open.
- No storage in stairwells and exit discharge.
- Keep the occupancy load in rooms to fire code.
- Contact Fire Marshal’s office before any event that requires inspection.
- No candles, candle warmers, scented plug in devices in state owned buildings.
- Live Christmas trees are prohibited in campus buildings.
- Keep office and building space clean and free of combustibles.