Permits for all activities controlled by the Fire Marshal’s office can be obtained by calling (435) 559-4602 or (435) 559-0489. Please be prepared to allow up to 48 hours advanced notice for any permit inspection/request.
The following is a list of activities currently requiring a permit from the SUU Fire Marshal’s Office:
- Hotworks: Any welding, soldering, torch cutting inside or on any SUU buildings.
- Pyrotechnics: Any outside/inside pyrotechnic display requires a permit from the Cedar City Fire Marshal, proof of insurance, and approval of the SUU Fire Marshal’s office. No club or organization affiliated with SUU shall be allowed to have bonfires on or off campus. No open flame demonstrations are permitted inside of any structure, such as fire dancing.
- Theatrical fog/haze machines: Any machine that creates theatrical smog/haze for theatrical performances shall be inspected and approved by SUU Fire Marshal’s office prior to any performance/use.
- Theatrical Props: Any theatrical props using candles, torches, or flash paper shall be approved by the SUU Fire Marshal’s office.
- Events: Any major concert, dance, or club event altering egress of a building shall be approved prior to event.
- Candles: Candles, candle warmers, scented plug in devices shall not be used in any structure.
- Christmas trees: Live Christmas trees are prohibited in any structure.
- Space Heaters: Space heaters used on campus need to be approved and issued through campus Risk Management. Contact the Director of Safety & Risk Management at (435) 586-7901 or firstname.lastname@example.org.