Name: Quinn Mathews, University Fire Marshal
In 2004–2008 U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated annual average of 3,800 structure fires in dormitories, fraternities,sororities and barracks. Largely preventable, these fires have sparked action by state leaders who now mark September as Utah's official Campus Fire Safety Month.
To ensure students have a safe experience while at SUU, the University Fire Marshal would like to remind students as well as faculty and staff of campus policies surrounding fire prevention:
1) Smoking is only permitted outside and in designated areas.
2) Open flames are not permitted on campus, including in campus residence halls (instead, purchase battery powered, scented candles).
3) Keep flashlights on hand to use during any type of power outage, as candles will not be permitted in such circumstances.
4) Know the evacuation plan for your building.
5) Do not ignore fire alarms – leave the building anytime the alarm sounds.
6) Use a surge suppressor and do not overload circuits.
7) Do not leave cooking items unattended and use a lid to smother small grease fires.
8) Only use space heaters that have been approved by the University Fire Marshal.
Additional campus fire safety tips are available online (link below).
Public Relations | Marketing | Publications | Photos | Logos | Web Services | Contact Us
Report an Error on this Page
Looking for Answers? Ask this Department.