Student Success Advising

Advising Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective Students

How many credits do I need to be a full-time student?
Full-time students schedule between 12-18 credits. the sentence as: However, to complete a 120-credit bachelor’s degree, please keep in mind that scheduling the minimum credit load per semester (or averaging less than 15 credits per semester) will require more than eight semesters. If your goal is to finish in four years, you will want to average 15 credits per semester.

How do I schedule a campus tour?
There are three options:

How do I get more information about SUU?

How do I apply to SUU?
Please apply online

How much does it cost to go to SUU? What about financial aid?
Please refer to the Cashier’s Office for information regarding tuition and fees. The Financial Aid Office can offer you information regarding scholarships, questions about the FAFSA process, and other sources for financial assistance.

I’ve been accepted to SUU. What do I do next?
It’s very important to pay your non-refundable enrollment deposit as soon as possible to accept your admission to SUU. Next, please sign up for an orientation date and contact an academic advisor to help you plan your schedule.

Do I need to take a placement test?
SUU can accept ACT/SAT scores to determine math* and English** placement. If you do not have ACT/SAT scores, or your math scores are more than two years old, you will need to take the Accuplacer test(s). Testing center website..

*Math scores (test scores, or previous courses) expire after two years. If you do not take a college Math course within two years of your most recent class or test, you will need to take the Accuplacer test to determine what Math class you place into.

**English scores do not expire.

Meeting with your Academic advisor

Who is my advisor?
Your advisor is determined by your major. If you haven’t decided on a major yet, you will also have an advisor. You will also have an advisor for a minor.

How do I contact my advisor?
You can contact your advisor via email if you have questions regarding your degree progress, classes, graduation, registration, etc.

Make appointments with the online scheduling system. Do not make appointments via email except with Paula Alger (Advanced Standing Business Students).

Alternatively, you can call the Advising Office at (435) 586-5420.

How often should I see my advisor?
You should see your advisor at least once a semester to ensure that you’re making appropriate progress on your degree and to plan future semester(s). It’s best to come in BEFORE you’re eligible to register in order to avoid the rush and to be able to take advantage of a full appointment time.

What are "Walk-Ins"?
Walk-ins are short meetings with your advisor that should not exceed 15 minutes in length. Walk-ins are good for talking about the following:

  • Schedule checks
  • Advisor signatures
  • DegreeWorks questions
  • Graduation checks
  • Clarification on policies
  • Adding/dropping a course

If your concern/question will take longer than 15 minutes, please schedule an appointment. Appointments are needed for the following:

  • Creating a schedule
  • Educational plans
  • Major exploration
  • Financial Aid appeals
  • Athletic eligibility

All advisors have walk-in hours each week. Please call the Advising Office at (435) 586-5420 or stop by the office in ST 204 to find out when they are.

What should I bring to my appointment?
Please make sure that you have all the questions that you want to ask. It can be a good idea to write them down so you don’t forget them in the middle of the appointment. It’s also good to bring paper and a writing utensil so you can take notes on what you and your advisor discuss and any action items that you need to complete.

Previous advising documents, such as an educational plan, can also be very helpful to bring with you. Above all, please bring what you feel you need to make the appointment productive and successful

Can my advisor answer questions about financial aid?
No. Each student’s Financial Aid situation is unique to them, and it can be very complicated. If you have questions regarding grants, loans, scholarships, or other financial considerations, please see your Financial Aid Counselor. See who your counselor is (divided by last name).

Can my advisor answer questions about housing?
No. Please contact Housing & Residential Life at (435) 586-7966 or visit their web site.

  • Associate of Science (AS)/Associate of Arts (AA)
    An AS or AA is a two-year, 60 credit program comprised of SUU’s general education requirements, additional science or foreign language courses, and free electives. This is primarily used to transfer to another university to complete four-year degree.

    Associate of Applied Science (AAS)
    An AAS is a two-year, concentrated training certificate program offered only in specific subjects (Paralegal, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Development, etc.). This is NOT an equivalent to an associate’s or bachelor’s degree.

  • Bachelor of Science (BS)
    A BS is a four-year, 120 credit program comprised of SUU’s general education requirements, the EDGE program requirement, 12 credits in math or science, a major, a minor (if applicable), and free electives. The desired major will state whether a BS or a BA (or both) is offered in that subject.

    Bachelor of Arts (BA)
    A BA is a four-year, 120 credit program comprised of SUU’s general education requirements, the EDGE program requirement, 16 credits in one foreign language, a major, a minor (if applicable), and free electives. The desired major will state whether a BS or a BA (or both) is offered in that subject.

    Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
    A BFA is a four-year, 120 credit, highly intensive degree focused in an artistic discipline. This is looked upon as a professional degree with conservatory-style training. It is comprised of SUU’s general education requirements, the EDGE program requirement, a major, and any additional free electives necessary. BFA programs are currently offered in Theatre Arts and Studio/Visual Arts.

    Bachelor of Music (BMU)
    A BMU is a four-year, 120 credit, highly intensive degree focused in an artistic discipline. This is looked upon as a professional degree with conservatory-style training. It is comprised of SUU’s general education requirements, the EDGE program requirement, a major, and any additional free electives necessary.

    Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies (BIS)
    A BIS is a four-year, 120 credit degree that provides students an individualized academic program across diverse fields of study. It is comprised of SUU’s general education requirements, the EDGE program requirement, the BIS major, and free electives. It cannot be used for state certification as a teacher.

  • Masters Degree

    A masters degree is a graduate degree for advanced studies in various fields. Bachelor Degrees and rigorous tests are required for admission to Graduate Studies.

    Academic advising for graduate studies takes place between the student and their faculty and faculty graduate committees.

    Graduate degrees offered by SUU can be found at the Graduate Studies website

Classes & Grades

What is a prerequisite and corequisite?
A prerequisite is a course that you must take before you take another course. For example, PSY 2010 has a prerequisite of PSY 1010, meaning you must take PSY 1010 first. The catalog description will let you know if a course has a prerequisite.

A corequisite is a course that you must take at the same time as another course. For example, in the General Education Physical Science Knowledge Area, you must take a lecture and its corresponding lab in the same semester. These are considered corequisites. The catalog description will let you know if a course has a corequisite.

Can I retake a class?
Yes, you can retake a class. Retaking a class will replace the grade within your GPA, but the class itself will remain on your transcript (both the original and the retake will be visible). However, the GPA does not always happen automatically. You should speak to the Registrar’s Office after the retake grade has been posted to request a GPA recalculation.

Some classes are repeatable for credit and are typically identified as such in their catalog descriptions

How do I calculate my GPA?
Try an online, easy-to-use GPA calculator that does the math for you, such as Alternatively, you can use a paper form from the Registrar’s Office:

What does a 'W' or 'UW' or 'I' on my transcript mean?
A “W” means you withdrew from a class. “UW” means unofficial withdrawal (you either stopped attending or never attended the class, but did not take actions to withdraw from the course). A “W” will remain on your transcript to show that you dropped the course, but it does not affect your GPA. A “UW” will also remain on your transcript and will calculate as an “F” in your GPA.

An “I” stands for Incomplete. This grade indicates the student was unable to complete the course for a legitimate reason after having completed a majority of the required work. Students must complete a contract with their professor. You must be passing the course at the time of an incomplete contract. You have up to a year to finish the course, after which time the grade will become an “F”. You do not re-register for the course if you are working on completing an "Incomplete Contract." Allowing an incomplete contract is at the discretion of the instructor.

What's the deal with summer classes?
We do offer summer courses at SUU! We offer more online courses during the summer than during the regular semester. There are four summer sessions available: Maymester (classes begin and end during May), First Session (the first five weeks after Maymester), and Second Session (the second five weeks after Maymester). Full Session courses run from the beginning of first session until the end of the second session. Out-of-state students pay in-state tuition on summer courses.

What online courses are available?
You can view available online GE courses by semester using the online catalog or by visiting their website.

Where do I see my grades?
At the end of the semester, you can see your grades on your transcript (and in your DegreeWorks audit). You can access your transcript via your SUU Portal by clicking on the “Unofficial Academic Transcript” link under the Banner in the lower left side of the screen.

Can I take more than 18 credits a semester?
You need to meet with your advisor to get the credit overload form, and then get the signatures from both your advisor and the dean of your college. Please know that you must have a good GPA (3.5 or higher) in order for your request to be considered. If you have extenuating circumstances, your request may still be considered, but it will be a tougher sell.

Which Math class do I start in?
Math placement is determined either by taking the Accuplacer test or based on your ACT math subscores. If you took the SAT instead, your scores will be converted to ACT scores. Please contact your advisor for help.

≤ 13 MATH 0950
14-17 MATH 0990
18-22 MATH 1010
23+ MATH 1030 or
MATH 1040 or
MATH 1050 or
MATH 1060 or
MATH 2040

Which English class do I start in?
English placement is determined either by taking the Accuplacer test or based on your ACT scores. All students begin with ENGL 1010, but if your ACT English subscore is below 17, you need to schedule ENGL 0990 concurrently with ENGL 1010. If your ACT English subscore is 29 or above, your ENGL 1010 is waived and you may skip to ENGL 2010.

How do I get on the Deans' List?
The Deans’ List is a roster of undergraduate students who have received very high grades during a particular semester of full-time enrollment. To be included in the Dean’s List you must meet both of the following criteria:

  • You must complete 15 or more credit hours in a given semester, excluding classes graded Pass/Fail.
  • For that semester, you must attain a semester grade-point average (GPA) of 3.6 or higher.

The Office of Marketing Communication will submit Dean’s List names to the hometown newspapers of the students. There is no Deans’ List during the summer term.

What do I do if I got an 'F' in a class I thought I dropped?
You should first talk to the Registrar’s Office to make sure it is not a system error. If you simply did not complete the steps to drop, you will need to retake the class if it’s a required course. If it was an elective, you may choose to retake it to replace the “F” in your GPA, or you may leave it as is.

How do I appeal a grade I received?
A student may request a change of grade for any of three reasons: (1) a clerical or computational error was made by the instructor in assigning the grade, (2) the instructor lost or damaged student work that had been completed and submitted as assigned, or (3) the instructor evaluated the student’s work on the basis of different factors than were used to evaluate the work of the other students in the course.

The student will first discuss the request for change of grade with the instructor. If the matter cannot be resolved, the student may appeal to the department head. If a resolution is still not reached, the student may appeal to the dean of the College. Appeals to the dean must be initiated within six months of the end of the course. If discussion with the dean does not resolve the matter, the dean will refer the appeal to the College Grade Committee. The College Grade Committee will rule on the matter within two months of the date of the appeal to the dean. (Refer to the University Policies and Procedures 6.19 for additional information.)

Can I get degree credit for a graduate level course?
Yes. If you obtain permission to enroll in a graduate-level course while still an undergraduate, you can choose at the end of the semester to convert that course to upper-division undergraduate credits. However, you may no longer use that course toward a graduate degree, as it permanently becomes undergraduate credit.

What should I do if I am struggling in a course?

  • First, please talk to your professor and see if he/she can suggest studying strategies and/or help you develop new ways to approach the material.
  • Second, visit the tutoring center, a free service provided to SUU students.
  • Finally, if neither strategy works, please visit your academic advisor to discuss the ramifications of continuing or withdrawing from the course.

What is an elective and how many do I need?
An elective is a course that is not required by General Education, University Requirement, your major, or your minor. These courses allow students to add their own interests and passions into their studies and can often facilitate a richer, and more personalized, academic experience. Most students will need to take elective classes to reach the 120 credits required for a bachelors degree.

The number of elective credits you will need varies from student to student based on major, minor, need for pre-requisites, and other factors. Be sure to regularly consult with your academic advisor about elective offerings.

What are GE courses? Why do I need them?
General Education at SUU reflects a long tradition in American higher education, affirmed by accrediting agencies, to assist students in becoming self-reliant scholars and versatile individuals. This tradition ensures that students achieve university-level skills in writing, speech, and mathematics; encounter the fields of the humanities and fine arts; understand American institutions; become acquainted with the methods and topics of science; think about the values of their own and other cultures; and consider differences and interrelationships among people as well as fields of knowledge.

The course catalog lists all courses that fulfill General Education requirements.

Should I complete GE and EDGE courses before staring my major?
Not necessarily. You should use your GE classes and EDGE project to explore your interests and enhance your major experience. Each major is different, however, so please speak to your academic advisor about the best way to structure your degree program.

Can classes required by my major also count as GE courses?
If your major requires courses that are listed as General Education options, they will count in both areas.

Will I receive a mid-term grade?
You will not receive an official midterm grade, but you may meet with your professor to discuss your academic progress. If there is a concern, a professor may submit a SANS (Student Assessment Notification System) report, and you may be contacted by a student mentor to address those concerns and offer academic support.


Advanced Placement & International Baccalaureate

How many credits can I receive for an Advanced Placement test?
You will need to score at least a 3 on an AP test in order to get credit for a course. If you score higher than a 3, you may be eligible for additional credits.

What kind of credits can I receive if I took an International Baccalaureate course?
If you graduated high school with an International Baccalaureate diploma, you will receive 30 credits and have all of the General Education Knowledge Areas fulfilled (Fine Arts, Humanities, Social & Behavioral Science, Life Science, and Physical Science). You may still need to complete the General Education Core (English, Mathematics, Information Literacy, and Digital Literacy), an American Institutions course, and meet University Requirements like the EDGE and degree minimums for language (BA degrees) and math/science (for BS degrees). However, some of these areas may be waived with a score of 5, 6, or 7 in a Higher Level exam.

If you did not complete an IB diploma but did take some IB exams and scored a 5, 6, or 7, you can receive a maximum of 8 credits per subject.

How do I get my AP/IB credits to SUU?
In order for your credits to be counted, SUU must receive official documentation from the scoring body. Although your AP/IB scores may be recorded on your high school transcript, we cannot award official college credit until we receive the scores from either the College Board or the International Baccalaureate Organization.

Request AP scores from the College Board. Request IB scores from the International Baccalaureate Organization.

Please have the scores sent here:
Registrar’s Office
Southern Utah University
351 W. University Blvd
Cedar City, UT 84720

Do AP/IB credits affect my GPA?
No, they do not. AP/IB credits are counted as transferred pass courses (shown on DegreeWorks and your transcript as TP), which do not calculate into your GPA.

FLATS, CLEP, & Testing Out

Can I test out of a language?
Yes, you may purchase up to 16 language credits for $6 per credit ($96 total). SUU offers two options: taking a higher-level course of a language we offer (French, German, and Spanish) or the Foreign Language Achievement Test (FLAT) through BYU.

If you wish to take a higher-level course in French, German, or Spanish, you must get departmental permission with an add/drop form to register for a 3000-level language course. See your advisor or the Foreign Language Department (GC 108) for more details.

The FLAT from BYU offers many more languages; currently you can test out of more than 55 languages. Once you have your test score results, you will need to bring them form to the Languages & Philosophy Department (GC 108) in order to buy the credits.

Where can I find information about the Foreign Language Achievement Test?
Please visit the FLAT website. There you will find information about what language tests are available, the cost to take the test, and testing dates. You can also register for your test on the website and take the test at SUU's Testing Center.

What is CLEP?
CLEP is the College-Level Examination Program. It allows you to test out of General Education courses if you feel you know the material and do not wish to take the course. See which CLEP tests are available at SUU. All CLEP tests are given by appointment only and must be scheduled through the Testing Center (ELC 113, 435-865-8071).

How many CLEP credits can I use toward my degree?
You may use a maximum of 30 credits from CLEP and other credit by examination courses toward your degree. Please note that this means if you test out of the 16 credits in foreign language, you are restricted to a maximum of 14 CLEP credits.

Can I test out of any courses?
You can test out of LM 1010 Information Literacy and CSIS 1000 Computers, Applications, and the Internet. To test out of LM 1010 and/or CSIS 1000, you must be a currently enrolled student at SUU and have not previously taken LM 1010/CSIS 1000.

LM 1010 form
CSIS 1000 form

In addition to LM 1010, CSIS 1000, CLEP, and foreign language test out options, you may work with a professor or department on testing out of additional college-level courses. However, there is a maximum of 16 credits in any one academic discipline. These additional rules apply:

  • You may not use credit by exam for the purpose of a change of grade if you have already taken the course.
  • Credit by exam is given only to students currently enrolled at SUU.
  • A maximum of 30 credit hours may be applied toward graduation from credit by exam and CLEP.
  • A maximum of 6 credit hours may be awarded in any one area of general education from a combination of credit by exam and CLEP.
  • Credit by exam may be granted a standard letter grade or pass/fail as agreed upon by the instructor and student.

Form for credit by exam.

What is the math placement exam?
The math placement exam, also known as the math Accuplacer, allows you to be placed into the appropriate level math course for your knowledge and major. You must take the math Accuplacer if your math ACT/SAT subscores are more than two years old. You also have the option of taking it even if your ACT/SAT scores are still good in order to see if you test into a higher-level math.

The math Accuplacer costs $8. You may take it up to three times per year, and tests must be at least one week apart. You can pay the fee online or visit the Cashier’s Office in the Sharwan Smith Center.

What is the English placement exam?
The English placement exam, also known as the English Accuplacer, allows you to test out of taking ENGL 0990 concurrently with ENGL 1010. It does not allow you to skip ENGL 1010.

The English Accuplacer costs $8. It may be taken as many times as needed per year. You can pay the fee online or visit the Cashier’s Office in the Sharwan Smith Center.

Can I take the Math/English Placement exam at another school and have the results sent here?
If the school you would like to take the placement exam(s) has Accuplacer, then you may be able to have the scores transferred over. You will need to work with our Testing Coordinator, Tony Salso, before you take the test(s). He can be reached at

Transfer Credit

How do I know whether the courses I took at another school transferred (and the number of credits transferred)?
You will receive a Transfer Equivalency Letter from the SUU Registrar’s Office when your transfer credits have been evaluated and posted to your account. You can access this letter electronically through your SUU Portal.

How do I know what requirements I have already satisfied with courses from another school?
If your credits have been evaluated and posted by the Registrar’s Office, you may run a degree audit through DegreeWorks, available in your SUU Portal.

Alternatively, you can use the transfer equivalency sheets that SUU has developed for area colleges and universities. If your previous school is not on this list, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (435) 586-7715 to see if an equivalency has already been established.

If I want to take summer classes back home, how do I know what will transfer?
Please use the transfer guides. If your intended summer school is not on this list, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (435) 586-7715 to see if an equivalency has already been established.

If there is no current equivalency, the best way to make sure your summer classes will transfer is to work with the department chair of the course(s) you are intending to take. You should bring at least the course description (but preferably a syllabus) to the department chair for evaluation. The chair can fill out a transfer equivalency form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office to ensure you get what credit you would like.


Can I get credit for doing an internship?
It will depend on your department, but you may be able to! Some departments require prerequisites before they allow their students to get internship credit, but others do not. Departments also have a range on how many credits you can be awarded for an internship, as well as how many you can potentially count in your major as an elective. Please see your advisor for details.
Generally, 1 credit of internship is equivalent to 45 hours of work. Thus, a 3-credit internship would require you to put in at least 135 hours per semester/summer.

How can I get an internship?
We have a Career Café on campus that helps students explore internship opportunities and posts openings year-round. You can visit them in ST 204 or schedule an appointment with a Career Coach.

Also, your department faculty can be great resources on internship opportunities. Make sure that you speak with them when you’re conducting your search.

How do I register for classes?
The preferred way to register for classes is to use your SUU Portal. Please follow the illustrated instructions if you have never registered online before.

Please note: You are also required to enter a RAC number (found on your DegreeWorks report) before you can register for courses. You will enter the RAC after you select the “Add, Drop, or Search for Classes” link and choose the appropriate semester. DegreeWorks is available in your mySUU Portal.

Another way to register for classes is to use an add/drop form and turn it in to the Registrar’s Office.

Where do I get a class schedule and a catalog?
Both the class schedule and catalog are now completely online. If you’re looking at course descriptions, please always select the most current catalog at the top of the list. If you’re looking at major/minor requirements, make sure to select the catalog that’s listed as yours in your DegreeWorks audit.

The class schedule can be accessed through your SUU Portal. Click on the “Registration” link under the Banner section on the lower left side of the screen. On the next page, choose “Course Search” at the bottom of the list. This will take you to the online class schedule.

When do I register for classes?
You will register for classes depending on your class standing (e.g., freshman, sophomore, etc.). Your class standing is determined by how many completed credits you will have earned at the end of your current semester. Registration dates for summer, fall, and spring semesters .

What is a RAC?
A RAC (Registration Access Code) is a 6-digit PIN that allows you to register for fall and spring semesters. (A RAC isn’t needed to register for summer.) You will need your RAC each time you make a change to your schedule, but your RAC will always be available on your DegreeWorks audit. It will also change each semester.

What is an add/drop form and when do I need to use it?
An add/drop form allows you to register for or drop a class without using your online account. Generally speaking, you will only need to use an add/drop form in limited circumstances; most classes you will be able to register for online. However, you will need an add/drop form in the following situations:

  • You need instructor permission to add a course that is full or has an instructor permission hold on it.
  • You need departmental permission to add a course without the prerequisite or corequisite, or a course that has a major or department restriction on it.
  • It is past the point in the semester that you can add a course without the instructor’s permission.
  • You are changing a course from a credit-bearing class to an audit (or vice versa).

Please make sure to read the instructions on the add/drop form completely to make sure you are filling it out correctly. They are not considered complete when signed; they are complete when turned in to the registrar's office. All add/drop forms must be turned in to the registrar's office before any applicable deadlines.

What do I do if the class I want is full?
You have two options: (1) You may keep checking the online schedule to see if there is an opening, or put yourself on the electronic waitlist if the class offers one; or (2) You may see if the professor is willing to sign you into the course using an add/drop form. However, many professors will not sign you into a course until the end of the first week of classes, so make sure you are attending the class the first week to have the best shot at getting in.

Can an advisor add me to a full class?
No. In order to be added to a full class, you must get the instructor’s signature on an add/drop form and turn it in to the Registrar’s Office.

When is the deadline to drop or withdraw from a class?
There are two important deadlines: drop without a “W,” and drop with a “W.” The drop without a “W” deadline is approximately two weeks after the semester has begun for a full semester course, and one week after the start of a first or second session course. The drop with a “W” deadline occurs in the ninth week of the semester, and approximately a month after the start for a first or second session course.

For specific semester dates, please see the Academic Calendar.

How do I drop a class?
You can drop a class in your mySUU Portal. First, choose the “Registration” link, then “Add, Drop, or Search for Classes.” Once in your list of classes, choose the “Web Withdrawn” option in the drop-down box under the “Action” column. Click the submit button, and double-check that you have successfully dropped your course. If it’s before the withdraw without a “W” deadline, it will have disappeared from your list. If it’s after the withdraw without a “W” deadline, it will still appear in your list of classes, but it will indicate it has been withdrawn.

You can also drop a class with an add/drop form. You do not need your instructor’s signature to drop a course when using the form.

If I stop attending class will I automatically be dropped?
No. If you stop attending class but do not drop the course yourself, you will end up with a “UW” (Unofficial Withdrawal) grade for the course. A “UW” calculates in your GPA the same as an “F.”

How do I drop all my classes for the semester?
If you wish to withdraw from all your classes in the semester, you must complete the online withdrawal process in your SUU Portal. Choose the “Registration” link under the Banner section on the lower left side of the screen. Then choose the “Online University Withdrawal” link on the next page. Follow the prompts form there.

If you need to withdraw for medical or other unexpected reasons, you may use the Emergency Withdrawal form. You may be eligible for a portion of your tuition and fees.

If I drop a class, will it affect my financial aid?
It may. Please speak to your Financial Aid counselor before dropping any courses if you are worried about how it could affect your aid situation. Depending on the point in the semester, it could affect your aid drastically or not at all.

What does it mean if I have a 'hold' or 'error' on my account?
A hold can be put on your account by various departments for different reasons. Some of the most common causes of a hold include outstanding fees at the Cashier’s Office, overdue library books/late fees, parking fees, lab equipment breakage, etc. Some holds have different restrictions, and many of them block your ability to register for the next term or make changes to your current schedule.

All holds must be cleared by the office that issued the hold before you can register, receive a transcript, receive your diploma, etc. You can view your holds online by logging in to your SUU Portal, choosing “Student Menu” under the Banner section in the lower left part of the screen, then “Student Records,” then “View Holds.”

When I try to register for a class I get an error. What do I do?
First and foremost, please read the error that you’re getting. The error will always indicate the problem you’re encountering. For a list of errors, their explanations, and how to resolves them, please visit the Registrar’s Office.


How do I run a DegreeWorks audit?
When you log into DegreeWorks (through your SUU Portal), the first thing you will want to do is select the “Process New” button at the top. This is your most current DegreeWorks audit (the Last Audit date at the top should then say “Today”).

How do I run a 'What-If' scenario?
If you would like to explore majors, minors, or concentrations, you can run a “What If” audit (available on the left side menu). In a What If, you can select a major (or two majors), minors, concentrations, and various combinations of the three. After you have selected a major, a minor (if applicable), and a concentration (if required), you can click the “Process What-If” button at the top. The result is what your program of study would look like if you were in the selected major/minor.

You can play with this feature as much as you want without officially changing your major through the Registrar’s Office or altering your current degree requirements at all.

Who do I contact if there’s an error on my DegreeWorks?
Please send an email to if you find an error in your audit. Make sure to include your legal name and T-Number, and that you are sending the email from your preferred email account as identified in your Banner account.

My transfer classes/credits aren’t showing up on DegreeWorks. What’s wrong?
Did the course transfer in under “Electives”? If so, it does not have a direct match with an SUU course. If you believe the course you took at your transfer institution is the same as a course offered at SUU, you must take a course description (but preferably a syllabus) to the respective department chair for consideration. If the department chair feels that the course is equivalent, he/she must contact the Registrar’s Office to allow the course to be counted as the requirement.

How do I choose a major? What if I am undecided about my major?
It’s generally a good idea to choose a major in a subject that you’re passionate about or interested in. It’s almost impossible to complete 40+ credits in something you hate! Don’t necessarily worry about your “marketability” with a specific major. Generally, employers are more interested in the “soft” or “transferable” skills that you acquire just by being a college student.

If you are undecided about what to major in, we have two advisors that can assist you in identifying potential majors. Additionally, you are encouraged to make an appointment with Career Coach Brian Fullerton to explore your interests, goals, strengths, and more, and make connections to the world of work. Schedule an appointment with him or you can call the Advising & Career Center at (435) 586-5420.

We also offer a 2-credit elective course in career development and decision-making called UNIV 1020: Career Decisions. It is offered every fall and spring semester.

When and how should I declare a major?
You may declare a major at any time, and change it at any time. However, if you reach 75 credits and have not declared a major, a hold will be placed on your account that prevents you from registering until you have officially declared a major.

You can declare or change a major by using the Change of Major Form. You will need to fill out all information in the “Student Information” and “Change Information” boxes. You need the signature of the advisor of your new major. You must submit this form to the Registrar’s Office for it to be official.

How do double majors and double minors work?
You may double major in two areas as long as there are at least 60 distinct, unduplicated credits between the two of them. (If you are unsure, please speak to an academic advisor.) You may even triple major, if you wish!

However, you may not duplicate credits between two minors. If you are interested in two minors that have overlapping courses, you must speak to the departments about course substitutions in order to earn both minors.

Do I have to complete a minor?
No—the vast majority of students are not required to complete a minor. There are a handful of majors at SUU that require students add a minor to their course of study, however. Please check with your major advisor to see if your major requires a minor.

How do I declare a minor?
You can declare a minor by using the Change of Major Form. You will need to fill out all information in the “Student Information” and “Change Information” boxes, even if your major, catalog year, degree type, etc., is not changing. You do not need an advisor’s signature for declaring a minor. You must submit this form to the Registrar’s Office for it to be official.

How do I drop a minor?
You can drop a minor by using the Change of Major Form. You will need to fill out all information in the “Student Information” and “Change Information” boxes, even if your major, catalog year, degree type, etc., is not changing. Under “Minor(s),” you may either leave it blank or indicate that you are wishing to delete/drop your minor. You must submit this form to the Registrar’s Office for it to be official.

How can I find out about the requirements for my major or minor?
You may find the requirements for a major/minor in three ways: (1) a DegreeWorks audit (or What-If if you are not currently declared with what you’re interested in), (2) the online catalogs, or (3) speaking with the advisor over the major/minor.

What is Financial Aid probation? How do I appeal it?
If you do not meet 70% Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) or have too many credits, you may be required to fill out a Financial Aid Suspension Appeal Form and an Academic Success Plan. You need to list the courses you plan to take over the next year, and minimum grade you need to earn (if applicable). Your academic advisor must sign this form. If you make a change to the planned courses, you need to contact the Financial Aid office (435) 586-7735 as soon as possible so they can make adjustments on their end.

If you need help filling this form out, please make sure to schedule an appointment with your advisor. Students who come to walk-ins with this form blank will be asked to fill it out prior to seeing an advisor.

Will I have to fill out a Financial Aid Suspension Appeal every semester?
You may fill out the form semester by semester, but it’s generally recommended that you fill it out for an academic year. You will need to fill out an appeal form until you have either reached 70% Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) or will be graduating (if you have too many credits).

What is academic probation? How do I get off it?
You will be placed on academic probation at the end of any term that your SUU cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0, and you will remain on academic probation until your SUU cumulative GPA reaches a 2.0 or higher. You will then achieve “Good Standing.”

If your semester GPA is 2.0 or higher but your SUU cumulative is still below a 2.0, you will then be placed on “Progressing Probation.” If your following semester GPA is below a 2.0, you will be required to withdraw and will be ineligible to attend SUU for one year. To be readmitted, you will need to appeal to the Academic Standards Committee.

The following graph shows how each situation works in the cases of three example students who started SUU in Fall 2011:

A 1.89 Probation 2.75 2.32 Good Standing
B 1.74 Probation 2.15 1.95 Progressing Probation
C 1.56 Probation 1.95 1.76 Required to Withdraw

I’m on academic probation. Are there restrictions in what I can take?
If you are on academic probation, you are limited to a total of 14 credits in that semester. You are also required to register for UNIV 1020 Academic Recovery. You must contact Mona Taylor ( to sign up for a time to take UNIV 1020, as it is offered several days/times each semester.

I’m off academic probation but I’m still limited to 14 credits. How do I fix this?
Your limit should be raised when you are moved to “good standing.” If that does not happen, please contact Mona at so she can verify your academic standing. She will be happy to personally fix your account.

Deferments & Taking Time off

What if I want to take time to do military or church mission work?
Please file a deferment form with the Admissions Office. You are allowed an absence of up to five semesters (not including summers) and still maintain your original catalog year and scholarships. Additionally, it is recommended you file a release of information form, designating a family member to have access to your records. They will also be able to register you for classes before your return to SUU.

How do I withdraw from SUU due to unforeseen circumstances?
Please sign in to your SUU Portal, select “Student Menu” under the Banner section on the lower left-hand side of the screen, then “Registration,” and finally “Online University Withdrawal. “ Fill out the online application and you will be dropped from all courses in the semester. You may withdraw fully from the semester up until finals week.

If you need to withdraw for medical or other unexpected reasons, you may use the Emergency Withdrawal form. You may be eligible for a portion of your tuition and fees.

Can I get a full refund if I need to withdraw from the semester?
There are dates set each semester as to how much will be refunded to you should you need to withdraw from the university. Please visit our Cashier’s Office for more information about refunds or view the Academic Calendar for specific semester dates.

Do I need to re-apply to the university if I have been away from SUU for an extended period of time?
Students are allowed to miss one full semester and still be enrolled at SUU. (This does not apply to optional summer semesters.) If more than one semester is missed, you will be asked to re-apply to the university and will be subject to a re-application fee. Reapply to SUU (choose “Returning Students”). If you have filed a deferment prior to your leave of absence, you are allowed to be away up to five semesters and still be admitted to the university.

I am returning from a leave of absence. What do I need to do to register for classes?
If you filed a deferment, SUU requests you contact our Admissions Office and let them know which semester you are returning. If you do not have a deferment on file, please re-apply to the university (choose “Returning Students”).


How many credit hours do I need to graduate?
For an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science degree you will need to complete 60 credit hours. As part of that 60 credits, you will need to complete the University’s General Education requirements and an additional math/science class (for an AS) or a series of foreign language courses (for an AA). Please see our associate degree advisor for detailed information.

For a bachelor’s degree, you will need to complete at least 120 credit hours. A minimum of forty (40) of those 120 hours must be upper-division level (courses numbered 3000-4999). Twenty (20) of those 40 upper-division credits must be earned at SUU.

How do I see how I am progressing toward graduation?
Please utilize your DegreeWorks audit. DegreeWorks can be accessed through your SUU Portal, and is found on the upper right side of the screen under the heading “Resources.” If you notice an issue with your DegreeWorks audit, please contact the Registrar’s Office at Make sure to include your legal name and your T-Number, and send the email from your preferred email account.

Additionally, you are encouraged to see your advisor on a regular basis to make sure you’re making degree progress.

What is the GPA needed to graduate with honors?
To graduate Magna Cum Laude (With Great Honor), you will need to graduate with a GPA of 3.6-3.7999. To graduate Summa Cum Laude (With Highest Honor), you will need a GPA of 3.8-4.0.

Can I graduate with a bachelor’s degree in less than 4 years?
Yes, if you’re willing to work for it! Students can take a maximum of 18 credits for Fall and Spring semester and up to 16 credits for Summer. The basic four-year graduation plan is to take 15 credits per Fall and Spring semesters with summers off. Additionally, if you enter SUU with other credits (AP, IB, concurrent enrollment, etc.), you may also be able to speed up graduation. Please see your academic advisor to create a graduation plan.

How many credits do I need to complete at SUU in order to get an SUU degree?
SUU requires that you complete a certain number of credits in certain areas in order to be granted a degree from us. We call these “residency requirements.”

For an associate’s degree, at least 24 of your 30 last-earned credits must be from SUU.

For a bachelor’s degree, you must complete at least 30 credits. Of those 30 credits, at least 20 must be upper-division courses (numbered 3000-4999), and at least 10 of those 20 upper-division courses must be within your major.

How do I apply for graduation?
You apply for graduation online through your SUU Portal. First, check your DegreeWorks audit to make sure you are declared correctly (major, minor, emphasis) and the correct catalog year is indicated. If everything on DegreeWorks is correct, choose the “Student Menu” link under the Banner section on your Portal in the lower left-hand part of the screen. From there, choose “Student Records,” then “Apply for Graduation.” Follow the prompts from there.

If your major, minor, emphasis, or catalog is not correct in DegreeWorks, please contact your advisor ASAP. You should not apply for graduation until that information is right. Please pay attention the graduation application due dates:

  • October 15 for Fall (December) graduation
  • December 15 for Spring (May) graduation
  • February 15 for Summer (August) graduation

How many graduation ceremonies are there per year?
SUU only has one graduation ceremony per year in May. If you finish your degree in December, you have the option of coming back to SUU to participate (“walk”) in the ceremony in the May after you finish. (Example: You finish in December 2014, so you can walk in May 2015.)

Can I "walk" at graduation if I lack a few credits?
Yes, with two restrictions: (1) You must have 12 or fewer credits to complete, and (2) You must complete any missing credits in the summer term immediately following the graduation ceremony. If you do not meet either of the above criteria, you will not be eligible to walk in the ceremony, and will only be allowed to participate in the next year’s graduation.

Do I have to “walk” at graduation?
No, you do not. When you submit your graduation application online, you can indicate whether or not you plan to participate in the graduation ceremony. (“Not sure” is also an option.) If you later change your mind about participating/walking, you will need to contact Sheila Johnson ( to make the change.

When and where will I receive my diploma?
Diplomas are printed once a year toward the end of July. Your diploma will be mailed to the address that you indicate in your online graduation application. If you are not sure where you’ll be after graduation, please make sure to enter a mailing address of a trusted family member or friend. If you are graduating in the summer or fall semesters, your diploma will be mailed in August of the next calendar year.

Campus Services

I have a learning disability. How can I get help?
Please visit Student Support Services to inquire about participating in their academic programs.

How do I find out about Study Abroad?
Please visit our Global Engagement Center to learn about study abroad opportunities.

Where do I go for pre-health advising?
Please make an appointment with a Science Advisor by calling (435) 586-5420 or visiting the online scheduling system.

Where do I go for pre-law advising?
Please make an appointment with our Political Science Advisor by calling (435) 586-5420 or visiting the online scheduling system.

What resources are available for minority and international students?
Please visit our Multicultural International Center to learn about available resources.

What resources are available for first generation students?
Please visit Student Support Services to learn more about participating in their programs:

How do I get a tutor if I need one?
Math tutors and English tutors are available on a daily basis in their respective tutoring labs: ST205 Math Lab and BC204 Writing Lab. For individual tutors, please speak to a representative in Student Support Services or view the tutoring schedule. In order to access tutoring, you will need to swipe your student ID card and sign it at the front before being helped.

How can I get more information on the EDGE program?
Please see the following link to the EDGE program, sample EDGE projects, and links to the EDGE Engagement Centers. Students may also meet with their academic advisor to brainstorm ideas.

Where can I go to receive personal counseling?
SUU offers professional counseling through the Counseling and Psychological Services Center (CAPS). Issues do not need to be strictly related to academics.

#protect <script type="text/javascript"> $(function(){ $('.arrowlistmenu .categoryitems:eq(0)').show(); $('.arrowlistmenu .menuheader').click(function(){ $('.openheader').not(this).removeClass('openheader'); $(this).addClass('openheader'); var currentCategoryItems = $(this).next(); $('.categoryitems').not(currentCategoryItems).slideUp(); currentCategoryItems.slideDown(); }); $('.arrowlistmenu ul.categoryitems li a.categoryheader').click(function(event){ event.preventDefault(); $('.openlink').not(this).removeClass('openlink'); $(this).addClass('openlink'); var currentCategoryItem = $(this).next(); $('.arrowlistmenu .categoryitems li div').not(currentCategoryItem).slideUp(); currentCategoryItem.slideDown(); }); }); </script> #protect