Understanding Academic Advising
- Help students formulate a plan to meet academic plans.
- Help guide students through the decision making process.
- Help students balance opportunities to explore with progress toward graduation.
- Outline requirements and preparatory work expected for specific degree programs.
- Provide information for students working toward their major, designed to help students understand course requirements, prerequisites, and course frequency and sequencing to enable them to complete their academic objectives as efficiently as possible.
- Identify ways in which the student can engage with the academy and get the most from their higher education experience.
Advisors can help guide you through the process of choosing a curriculum that will allow you to reach your educational, professional, and personal goals. They are always happy to answer questions and help you work through challenges.
Steps in the Advising Process
- Review your progress toward graduation by either visiting your “Degreeworks” web audit (through the “MySUU” Portal) or by using the correct general education & major worksheets.
- Make a list of the remaining classes you are required to complete.
- Search for courses online for the upcoming semester and create a tentative schedule.
- Call and make an appointment with your advisor. (Expect a 30-minute session unless you specify otherwise.)
- Bring appropriate materials and questions concerning degree requirements or registration to the advising meeting.
- The academic advising process should be a conversation. Ask questions to clarify information and take notes. Evaluate the information you receive and act accordingly. Remember that faculty and staff advisors are there to assist you in the decision making process; however, ultimately, you are responsible for your education.
Changing Your Major/ Minor
SUU requests you declare a major by the end of your sophomore year. However, you may make alterations to your major/minor as needed. Please meet with the advisor in charge of your NEW major.
The best way to schedule an appointment is by going online to Academic Advising or calling Academic Advising at (435) 586-5420.