SUU Career &
Wednesday, September 18, 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the Sharwan Smith Center Ballroom. Sponsored by the SUU Career & Professional Development Office. Alumni welcome to attend.
Career Fair Information
Thor's Thunder Classic
Presented by Wells Fargo
Monday, September 30
We invite you to participate in SUU's premiere four-person scramble and enjoy a day of golf with friends from your alma mater at Entrada at Snow Canyon Country Club.
Sponsorship & Team Info
True to SUU
See the schedule to
Alumni Career Expo
Wednesday, November 6
If you are interested in exploring new career opportunities, mark your calendar for November 6, and plan to attend an alumni-only career expo
in Salt Lake City.
Intermountain MBA Consortium
Wednesday, November 6
This state-wide networking event is designed to connect MBA alumni with representatives from partner corporations.
More details to come.
Oak Ridge Boys
40th Anniversary Tour
Tuesday, December 3
Featuring their greatest hits and all of your Christmas favorites. Tickets will go on sale soon and can be purchased at tbirdtickets.com.
Homecoming 2013 - True to SUU is less than a month away (October 8-12) and we are looking forward to all the activities, reunions and performances that will take place. We invite you to be on campus and participate with your Thunderbird Family. Look through the Homecoming schedule below, reach out to your college friends and make your plans now to attend. Please email us or call 435-586-7777 if you have questions or if we can be of assistance.
We want to share with you a wonderful story of heroism (KSL TV report & Deseret News story) by three of our students - Jake Probert, Ryan Fowles and Jared Wenn. The trio jumped into action on August 27 to save the life of SUU professor of managerial economics Joe Baker after he suffered a heart attack in the J.L. Sorenson P.E. Building. We are grateful for the positive outcome, and the reminder of what fantastic and capable students we have here at Southern Utah University.
SUU Alumni Relations
Mindy, Ron, Linda & Charley
Homecoming 2013 - True to SUU
Homecoming 2013 is less than a month away and we hope you are planning to be on campus and join the celebration. Take a look at the schedule:
Tuesday, October 8
- Poetry and Quilts, 4:00 p.m., Garden Level of the Sherratt Library.
- English Department No-Host Dinner at 5:15 p.m. at The Pastry Pub.
- Lecture by Dr. Jim Aton, Jim Jones: The San Blas Years at the Braithwaite Gallery.
Thursday, October 10
- 50-Year Club Reception, 5:30 p.m. in the Hunter Conference Center. Short program at 5:45 p.m.
- Alumni Awards Banquet, 6:30 p.m. in the Gilbert Great Hall. Call us at 435-586-7777 or email for tickets.
- SUUSA Pep Rally, 8:00 p.m. at Eccles Coliseum.
Friday, October 11
- Outdoor Engagement Center Reunion, 10-Year Anniversary details.
- School of Business Alumni Reception, 5:00 p.m. at the Leavitt Business Building.
- SUUSA Executive Club Reunion, 6:00 p.m. at the Hunter Conference Center. All former executive council members are invited. Email Mindy Benson for details.
Forever Red, 7:00 p.m. Upper Quad. Live music from The Coats, Mason Cottam Band and Hello Goodbye, plus food and fireworks.
- True T-Bird, midnight at Old Sorrel.
Saturday, October 12
- SUUper Sorrel Homecoming 5k, 7:30 a.m., at the Coal Creek Trail. Register Now!
- SUUSA Reunions, 9:00 a.m. at the Alumni House for Jason White ('93-'94), Treion Muller ('98-'99) and Kaydee Shakespear ('03-'04). Email Mindy Benson for details.
- Pancake Breakfast,
9:30 a.m. at the Alumni House.
- Homecoming Parade, 11:00 a.m. on University Boulevard. Plan to watch the parade with us at the Alumni House.
- Thunderbird Club Tailgate Party, Noon in the parking lot west of Eccles Coliseum. RSVP to Matt Roan. Donations welcome.
- College of Education Alumni Reunion, Noon. Information.
- Football Game vs. Portland State, 2:00 p.m. Tickets.
- SUU Alumni Band Concert, 7:30 p.m. at the Heritage Center. Free admission. Band alumni participating are invited to download music and RSVP with Dr. Adam Lambert, SUU Director of Bands.
SUU Admissions Hosts Open Houses
Because you know and understand the value of a degree from Southern Utah University, the Admissions Office is asking for your help in recruiting our next freshman class.
The SUU Admissions Office will host five Open Houses during the fall season to provide prospective students with an opportunity to learn about academics, admissions, scholarships, housing and student life at Southern Utah University.
High school or transfer students attending an Open House will hear unique experiences about SUU and will mingle with current students, faculty and alumni. Help us spread the word and encourage students in your local area to attend. Each Open House is a reception format and will be held from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the following locations:
- October 8, at the Davis Conference Center in Layton, UT
- October 9, at the Marriott Conference Center in Provo, UT
- October 10, at the Hilton Garden Inn in Sandy, UT
- October 29, at the Dixie Convention Center in St. George, UT
- November 12, at the Springs Preserve in Las Vegas, NV
If you would like to participate in your local Open House by attending with a prospective student, please contact Jenna DeGering at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 435-586-7741.
Utah's First ODK Chapter is Nationally Recognized
Southern Utah University's circle of Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK) may only be a year old but already it is causing major waves on the national level. The circle was recently named a Circle of Distinction for its high standards of excellence.
This distinguished award is given to only 75 ODK circles each year that emulate a high quality of leadership, versatility in collegiate activities, and cooperate in worthwhile endeavors, and SUU ODK did just that.
SUU's circle of ODK didn't waste any time their first year and jumped in headfirst. They raised $1,000 for Cedar City Women's Crisis Center through the Red Rock Relay, hosted a leadership convocation with campus administrators, organized a campus beautification day, and traveled to Irvine, CA and participated with Concordia University's ODK chapter conference.
Read more about SUU's chapter of ODK - the first circle to be established in the state of Utah
New Student Leaders Have Big Plans for New Year
A group of four students sit around the table with papers and chocolate wrappers sprayed across it. They're devising a plan. With each student possessing a certain set of skills that will include effectively tackling academic issues, coordinating event plans and juggling administrative initiatives on the Southern Utah University campus. They're the Executive Council for SUU Student Association (SUUSA).
Representing the 8,000 students at SUU, these Student Association officers play a substantial role in shaping student life on campus and at the highest levels of education and administration in the state. As the primary voice for students, SUUSA officers are a collective representation of who T-Bird students are.
But who are these students collectively representing the entire SUU student body? Who are the faces behind the voting posters that saturated hallways and sidewalks last spring semester?
Learn more about SUUSA's 2013-2014 Executive Council
Parking Policy Change
The University recently announced a change to its parking policy and the change impacts alumni and visitors to campus, as well as vehicles with a T-Bird License Plate.
Read about the new parking policy
Parking Services Website
Let us know what you think of News from the Nest by emailing email@example.com.