To all who have come to love Southern Utah University, the story of the founding of the institution has long stood as a source of pride and of inspiration. It is a story of heroism and selflessness, and serves as a constant reminder of the precious value of higher education. Each March, the Southern Utah University Founders Celebration salutes our rich past and promising future with a variety of events. Importantly, it pays tribute to the steadfast and visionary men and women who sacrificed greatly to establish the institution and to the enduring spirit of those founders, as it honors, as well, those who have devoted comparable service to the building of the University over many decades.
2014 Schedule of Events:
- Tuesday, March 25, 11:30 a.m., Howard R. Driggs Memorial Lecture, Gilbert Great Hall, Hunter Conference Center. Senator Robert F. Bennett will be discussing "Conflict Resolution and the New American West."
- Wednesday, March 26, 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., Lunch on the Main History Walk.
- A fun-filled afternoon of food and stories from our founding as presented by members of the Emeriti and Alumni Associations. Students visit historic campus locations such as Old Main, the Braithwaite Building and Old Sorrel, as well present-day gathering spots in the Sherratt Library and Sharwan Smith Center to hear unique stories from our history while enjoying lunch. Lunch at The Main began in 2010 and is a joint project between Student Involvement & Leadership and Alumni Relations.
- Thursday, March 27, 3:00 p.m., Beverley Taylor Sorenson Center for the Arts Groundbreaking, Randall L. Jones Theatre Lawn.
- Thursday, March 27, 7:30 p.m., Campaign Appreciation Celebration, Centrum Arena featuring Kenny Loggins, along with The Return (Beatles tribute band) and Chris Wallace. The concert and variety show celebrates the success of the Campaign for Southern Utah University. To receive your FREE tickets (quantities are limited) go online at tbirdtickets.com and use the promo code/password ALUMNI. Tickets can also be secured at the Centrum Ticket Office or by calling 435-586-7872. Thank you to generous sponsors who are making this Campaign Appreciation Celebration possible.
Enjoy a glimpse of the events and faces from 2013.