SUU In View (Alumni Magazine - Fall 2003)
COME TO SUU
In May we experienced an uplifting graduation of nearly 1200 wonderful students. Many guests, public leaders, parents, family members and honorary doctorate recipients joined us for this special celebration. I was reminded again of the remarkable learning and growth experiences available to students at SUU. We have a quality public university with a private, residential campus atmosphere. I draw from three references to depict the unique SUU experience. As you review this summary, I invite you to think of family members, neighbors and friends who will benefit from attending SUU.
1 Abe Harraf joined the administrative team at SUU in July of 2002. With fresh eyes at the University, he suggested one insightful meaning for the initials SUU:
2 For those who know Southern Utah University, or who have had some close tie as a student, supporter or participant, the succinct phrases outlined above paint a picture of this special place. Some recent achievements and developments illustrate SUU's student focus and undisputed quality and underscore why students today have a great experience here:
- This year seniors majoring in business averaged 99% on the nationally developed Princeton exam and have been in the high 90's for several years.
- In April SUU's Teacher Education program completed an NCATE accreditation review - the top accreditation for teacher education. While the formal written report will not be sent for some time, the review team chair stated: "You passed solidly on all six standards; you did very, very, very well!"
- We broke ground in early May for the new Eccles Living and Learning Center which will house 300 students and will be ready for occupancy in the fall of 2004.
- In the College of Humanities and Social Sciences alone, seven faculty have been Fulbright Scholars, including Dr. S.S. Moorty in 2002-03 and Dr. Jon Smith in 2003-04.
- SUU continues to excel in successfully placing students in professional and graduate programs at a rate of 90 percent or higher. Virtually all of the dental and law school applicants have been admitted for fall of 2003 and nearly all of the medical school applicants, including four who were admitted to the University of Utah.
- Opus, a talented SUU choral group under the direction of Dr. Bart Shanklin, has been invited to sing Mozart's Requiem in Carnegie Hall this coming January.
- During the last nine years, SUU's gymnastic team has won five national academic championships. This year our women's cross-country conference champions came in second to the national academic champion out of 323 institutions.
- In this sluggish economy, SUU had its best private fund-raising year ever, raising $11 million and exceeding our capital campaign goal by more than $1 million for a campaign total of $43,147,000.
Note: Since much of the campaign was realized through planned gifts, we have extended the scholarship portion of the campaign to raise at least $11 million more for this vital purpose.
- In a primer for our Northwest accreditation this fall, Dr. Libby Street, a seasoned and astute educator from Central Washington University, conducted a three-day review and observed: "Your students are the best I have ever seen - positive, articulate and analytical; and they look you straight in the eye when they speak."
3 Finally, I conclude with some lines I recently composed entitled: "Come to SUU."
Where you are more than a number.
Where personalized learning is a hallmark.
Where the doors to participation lead to growth,
Both personal and professional.
Where the gates of friendship and learning blend together,
Where the avenues of knowledge and careers integrate
In a path of new opportunity and fulfillment.
Where the doors of graduate and professional study
Open to those who have been taught and mentored
In the cradle between the glowing Leigh and Red Hills.
Yes, on this beautiful campus the light of learning soars
And lifts the learner to new vistas and views.
Here we pursue integrity, the search for truth,
And respect for all people as the foundation of education.
To honor thought in all its finest forms is SUU's quest,
As discovery, reflection and application are savored.
Where friendships forged lead to happy lifetime ties -
Even where romance and marriage are joyful outcomes.
Where confidence grows from knowledge and skills
Gleaned from books, participation, and caring/competent mentors.
Where a future brims with possibilities in many paths and professions.
All this and more, because the doors were opened
To eager students filled with hope and promise.
Who entered the path of learning and opportunity at SUU!