Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Advanced Standing? Advanced Standing is a status that can be achieved in the SUU School of Business by completing all of the prerequisites for the business majors (ACCT 2010, 2020; ECON 2010, 2020; MATH 2040 and CSIS 2010). Advanced Standing must be awarded prior to enrollment in any upper-division business courses (3000-4000 level). http://www.suu.edu/business/adv-standing.html
- Is Advanced Standing required of all majors? No, the only majors who will apply for Advanced Standing are the business majors (Accounting, Business Education Finance, Management & Marketing). Majors in Hotel, Resort & Hospitality Management and Economics will not apply for Advanced Standing, but will need approval to take any 3000-4000 level courses in the SUU School of Business.
- When do I apply for Advanced Standing and how do I apply? An application for Advanced Standing should be submitted by the student during the term that the prerequisites are being completed. An application may be picked up in the SUU School of Business Office or can be accessed on the following web-site: http://www.suu.edu/business/pdf/advstandapp.pdf . The completed application is then turned into the SUU Business Advisor.
- Is it necessary to declare my major in business quickly? It is recommended that a student declare their major in any area of business as soon as possible (since some courses are limited to business majors only). Without an accurate major declaration, many course offerings may not be available. In addition, proper declaration of a student’s major will insure that scholarships and award recipients are identified quickly and accurately.
- What is the pre-business core? The pre-business core is the list of prerequisite courses required for Advanced Standing. The pre-business core consists of the following courses: ACCT 2010, 2020; ECON 2010, 2020; BA 1000; CSIS 2010; MATH 2040, 1100 (or ECON 2500); ENGL 2040; and PSY 1010 or SOC 1010. This selection of courses should be taken before a student begins the upper-division business major courses. The first 7 courses listed above are the specific courses that are required to apply for advanced standing. http://www.suu.edu/business/pre-bus-core.html .
- What majors does the SUU School of Business offer? The SUU School of Business offers four business majors: Accounting, Finance, Management and Marketing. All four business majors are composite majors. Composite majors do not require a minor. In addition, the school offers three non-business majors: Business Education; Hotel, Resort & Hospitality Management and Economics. The requirements may be viewed on the following web-site: http://www.suu.edu/business/advisement.html
- What are the math requirements for the business majors? The math requirements for Accounting, Economics, Finance, Management and Marketing consist of the following courses: College Algebra (MATH 1050), Business Statistics (MATH 2040) and Business Calculus (MATH 1100 or 1210) or Quantitative Methods (ECON 2500).
- How do I calculate my GPA? Each core area in the SUU School of Business must be met with a 2.5 GPA (grade point average) or better. To calculate whether the GPA has been met, the following worksheet can be used (click on web-site and select Business GPA calculator): http://www.suu.edu/business/advisement.html
- How do I know if my courses will transfer to SUU? There are two areas that need to be addressed in relation to transferable equivalents: One, the general education course evaluation and two, the major course evaluation. If a student is transferring general education courses, the first contact should be the SUU Registration Office. Any general education courses that will be evaluated will be handled through the registration office ~ 435-586-7715. The business major courses will be evaluated by the SUU School of Business. If a student is transferring within the State of Utah, many of the prerequisites have already been articulated: http://www.suu.edu/business/transfer.html . If the course in question is not listed on the web-site, it is preferred to have the business school evaluate the content. Contact the SUU Business Advisor for an evaluation ~ 435-586-5462.
- When should I begin taking my prerequisites for my major? Many students elect to begin their college experience with general education courses and many students can take up to two terms in the general education before they must begin prerequisites in their major. However, it is necessary for business majors to take math courses quickly as part of the general education process. The following web-site will provide a four-year sequenced structure for any potential major found in the SUU School of Business (click on web-site and select 4-year Schedules): http://www.suu.edu/business/advisement.html.
- How many credits do I need to graduate? To graduate from SUU a student must accrue 120 total credits (40 upper-division credits). http://www.suu.edu/business/graduation.html
- Do I need to take electives to graduate? Students pursuing a degree from SUU must complete their general education requirements, major requirements and minor requirements (if needed for their major). If the above requirements equal 120 total hours (40 upper-division hours), no electives are necessary.
- Which catalog do I use? The catalog to be used will be determined by the student’s first term enrolled at SUU. If the student remains at SUU (enrolled continuously), the catalog will not change. If a student leaves SUU for over one term, the student will be put on the catalog the year of re-enrollment. If a student will be leaving for over 1 term, it is advisable to apply for a ‘deferral of catalog’ through the SUU Admission Office. If this is done, arrangements can be made to use the original catalog upon return to SUU.
- How can I apply for a departmental scholarship?The following website will help answer questions regarding departmental scholarships.
- What courses are available in the SUU School of Business and how do I know if I can take them? All of the course descriptions for the business courses are found at the following site: http://www.suu.edu/business/pdf/course-descriptions.pdf . The prerequisites and the term offered are also found at this site.
- If I have questions concerning the career opportunities in a business major, with whom would I speak? All of the department chairman and faculty can be accessed by selecting the appropriate discipline:
· ACCOUNTING http://www.suu.edu/business/acct/faculty.html
· ECONOMICS AND FINANCE http://www.suu.edu/business/econ/faculty.html
· Management, Marketing and Hospitality http://www.suu.edu/business/mgmt/faculty.html
- If I am a Hotel, Resort & Hospitality Management Major, do I have to take the pre-business core? No, the pre-business core and advanced standing is for the business majors only. To take the 3000 level courses in the HRHM major, it will only be necessary to take courses in the proper prerequisite order. See the course descriptions link for prerequisite information: http://www.suu.edu/business/pdf/course-descriptions.pdf