Welcome to the Department of Engineering at SUU!
Engineering provides a broadly based, cross disciplinary engineering education founded upon a design-oriented curriculum which integrates several disciplines into a whole, enabling graduates to undertake the wide variety of design and manufacturing challenges that modern industry faces.
Well-trained engineers play an increasingly important role in solving the problems of a complex technological society. There are many job opportunities in the various engineering fields, requiring competent skills and leadership, and providing high salaries. Two engineering programs are offered: Engineering and Pre- Engineering. The Engineering program is a four-year, ABET* accredited program leading to the B.S. degree in Engineering. The pre-engineering program leads to the Associate of Pre-Engineering (APE) degree. All courses offered are professional-track engineering courses.
Students completing the baccalaureate degree in Engineering will have,
- a solid understanding of the fundamentals of mathematics, physical science, and engineering science, which re-occur in diverse technical applications and form the foundation for work in all fields of engineering;
- the ability to practice engineering design and analysis and to integrate several engineering concepts into a system or process;
- the ability to pursue professional careers in multidisciplinary fields by the development of effective teaming abilities and communication skills;
- the ability to pursue advanced studies and/or assume leadership roles along diverse career paths;
- a strong appreciation for and commitment to ethical responsibilities, professionalism, lifelong learning, and a concern for society and the environment.
Student Learning Outcomes
The outcomes of the Engineering program are those proposed by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Each graduate will have:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering;
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs;
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams;
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems;
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility;
- an ability to communicate effectively;
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context;
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues;
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
The National Science Foundation has awarded SUU an S-STEM Grant which will provide student scholarships. Under appropriate fulfillment of academic requirements, this may be a continuing, yearly scholarship up to a student’s graduation. For more information or to apply