Criminal Background Check Requirement
Before a teacher candidate can work in the public schools in extended practicums and clinical practice, a criminal background check must be completed. The Utah State Board of Education policy requires that teacher candidates be cleared on fingerprints from the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. These agencies will search regional and national files for criminal convictions. In some cases, sealed records may be accessed to determine the teacher candidate's fitness for teaching.
On July 9, 2007 a new process was implemented by the Utah State Office of Education for the Educator Background Checks (EBC). Their new web based application is designed to help facilitate the process of applying for and initiating the required background check process for both new and existing educators.
- Access EBC
- Request live scan fingerprinting
- Pay your $74 fee online
- Answer all the questions
- An authorization letter and receipt will be generated
- Copy the authorization letter and take to any of the live scan sites in the state of Utah
- Have your fingerprints scanned electronically.
If you are attending SUU, you can have your fingerprints scanned at the SUU Public Safety Office, 36 N. 300 W. Tuesdays or Wednesdays 2-5 p. m.
- Take the authorization letter to the Cashier’s Office
- Pay $10 to the Cashier
- Take the Cashier’s receipt and authorization letter to the SUU Public Safety Office
- Have your fingerprints scanned electronically
Please call or stop by their office on Tuesdays or Wednesdays 2-5 p. m. to confirm someone will be there to assist in the scanning of your fingerprints.
You will only have a 60-day window to complete the live scan fingerprinting once the authorization letter has been generated. After that time you will be required to begin the process and pay the $74.00 fee all over again.
Cleared fingerprints are only valid for three years. If you have not completed program requirements to receive a teaching license within those three years, you will be required to submit another set of fingerprints.
If you have any questions please contact Shirley Wilson(435) 586-7802.
- Teacher Education
- Family Life & Human Development
- Graduate Studies
- Physical Education & Human Performance