The SUU Iron County School District Partnership
Southern Utah University, the Beverley Taylor Sorenson College of Education and Human Development, and the Iron County School District have enjoyed a long and productive partnership with the common goal of improving teaching and learning and enhancing student achievement.
As Herman Melville said, "We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."
The threads that make up the SUU-Iron County School District Partnership are weaving a most wonderful tapestry of ideas, services, and actions. As we look to the future, we look forward to building and strengthening this partnership, a model for cooperation and collaboration between higher and public education.
Key areas of focus in the partnership include support, collaboration, and facilitation of The Beverley Taylor Sorenson College of Education and Human Development. These include:
- Elementary and Secondary Block Teaching Training Programs at Canyon View High School and South Elementary School.
- Elementary, Secondary, and Special Education Clinical Practice placements and Educational Leadership Intern placements at all district elementary, middle, and high schools.
- Practicum opportunities for college students associated with Reading, ESL, Special Education, and other programs and courses.
- Collaboration with the College of Science in the facilitation of the Cedar Mountain Science Center Annual Summer Outdoor Education Camps.
- Continued support and collaboration with the Southwest Educational Development Center (SEDC) which serves not only the Iron County School district, but the Millard, Beaver, Garfield, Kane, and Washington School Districts.
- Facilitation of the artsFUSION Program and Arts Outreach Program.
In addition, SUU and the College has sustained and coordinated efforts to improve teacher recruitment and retention in the Iron County School District. It is estimated that 80% of Iron County School District Teachers have their Master's degree from SUU. Multiple collaborations with teacher professional development courses are undertaken each year.
The Southern Utah Teaching Excellence Curriculum Consortium (SUTECC) and delivery of State and University approved teacher licensure programs are also facilitated through this partnership.
SUU, Iron County School District, and the Cedar City Parks and Recreation Department annually promote educational activities at Park Discovery.
Plans are underway to enhance this partnership by training pre-service teachers in the Digital Bridge-SAMS assessment and data management system.
- Teacher Education
- Family Life & Human Development
- Graduate Studies
- Physical Education & Human Performance