Maintain Your Computer
It is important to take certain steps to maintain your computer. You should protect your computer from virus infection, malware and spyware attacks as well as making sure it has the latest security updates. Regardless of what you may hear, every computer is vulnerable to attack and the proper methods should be taken to ensure that your computer and information are safe and protected. We've put together a list of helpful resources students can use to make sure their computers are safe and secure.
How can I protect my computer from viruses?
To protect your computer from viruses you should have an up-to-date antivirus installed and running at all times. Here are some antivirus programs that can help you:
- AVG Antivirus Free (Great, free with daily updates)
- Avast! Antivirus Free (Good, free with regular updates)
- McAfee Antivirus (Good, trial period then you must purchase)
- Microsoft Security Essentials (Great, free from Microsoft for any Windows computer)
- Norton Antivirus (Good, trial period then you must purchase)
Trend Micro also offers a free online virus scan which you can use as often as you like.
How can I protect my computer from spyware and malware?
To protect your computer from spyware and malware you should run regular scans on your computer using an anti-spyware/anti-malware program. Here are some programs that can help you:
- Spybot Search & Destroy (Great, Free, constant updates)
- Windows Defender (Good, comes free as an update to Windows)
- Malware Bytes Anti-malware (Good, trial period then you must purchase)
- WebRoot (Good, trial period then you must purchase)
- Ad-Aware (Good, trial period then you must purchase)
Currently 90% of internet users have spyware or malware on their computer. Take the steps necessary to protect yourself and your information. Avoid downloading programs like MySearch Toolbar, Weatherbug, Gain Toolbar, Antivirus 2009, Gator and other similar programs. Programs like these open security holes in your computer which allow other spyware and malware programs to install themselves on your system. You should scan your computer weekly with an anti-spyware/anti-malware program to protect yourself. Also, make sure to install the latest updates for your computers Operating System (Windows XP, Vista, Mac OS X Leopard, etc.).
How can I make my computer faster?
Microsoft has put together a simple 5 step process that anyone using Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, etc.) can use to speed up their computer.
Find out how many computers are in use in the labs at any given time!