The dance program is dedicated to giving students the opportunity to find their individual strengths by engaging in a rich diversity of experiences aimed to nurture their aesthetic, creative, and scholarly potential. Students study dance within the breath of a liberal arts and science tradition that develops creative and critical thinking skills that have universal appeal to employers within a broad variety of professional opportunities.
POINTS of DISTINCTION
- Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Dance
- SUU-produced choreography is consistently chosen for American College Dance Festival Gala Concert
- Recipient of a National Endowment for the Arts: Three Centuries of Artistic Genius Grant
- Opportunities for international study abroad experiences
- Recent guest artists include: Michael Anderson, Charlotte Boye-Christensen, Peter Chu, Alberto Del Saz, Lane Gifford, Susan Hadley, Changsheng Mei, Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company, Joanie Smith, Bin Wang, Haiyang Wang, Yan Wang, and Yuanje Wu
In addition to preparing dancers for placement in prestigious graduate programs the dance department has produced graduates of high caliber who have experienced a diversity of performing and creative opportunities.
Our campus is home to three state-of-the-art dance studios and two concert performance halls for our dancers’ use. We also house a library of Congress on Research in Dance and the Journal of Dance Education/RDE Database.
- Participation as a performer in the annual Faculty Dance Concert and as student choreographer/performer in the annual Student Dance Concert
- Orchesis Modern Dance Club
- Opportunities for international exchange and study abroad experiences