International Student Admission Requirements
The following information will be required of all foreign students who are applying for admission to Southern Utah University:
- Application for admission Include a $55 application fee for undergraduate applications and $65 for graduate/masters applications (U.S. currency only). Application deadlines are:
- International transfer deadline for fall semester is May 1st; for spring semester is October 1st.
- International freshman deadline for fall semester is July 1st; for spring semester is December 1st.
- English Proficiency Proof of English proficiency is required for all applicants whose first language is not English. Students may show proficiency in English by providing scores for any one of the following:
Applicants with an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. may not be required to take the tests listed above.
- TOEFL – A minimum score of 525 on the paper based test, 197 on the computer based test or 71 on the internet based test is required to be admitted to SUU. The official TOEFL score must be sent directly to the International Admissions Office by the educational testing service and must not be over two years old at the time of application. SUU's TOEFL Code is 4092. Registration information regarding the TOEFL is available at www.toefl.org.
- IELTS International English Language Testing System – Students are required to have a minimum score of 6.0 or higher to be admitted to SUU. Students who wish to take the IELTS should visit the IELTS website for information about the administration of this test and how to report the results to Southern Utah University. IELTS is jointly managed by the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, British Council, and IDP: IELTS Australia.
- Successful completion of approved English language programs
- Transcripts Official transcripts (record of courses taken and grades received) from each secondary school, college, or university attended must be submitted. Transcripts must be submitted on an official school document which lists the name and address of the school, the dates enrolled, grading systems, description of each subject or examination, and mark or grade earned in each subject or examination. Unless the school attended routinely issues transcripts in English, official records must be submitted in the original language with official English translations. Translations must be literal and complete and must be translated by an authorized translation service. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the school attended to the SUU International Admissions Office, 351 W. University Blvd., Cedar City, UT 84720. Transcripts (other than official documents) submitted become the property of Southern Utah University and cannot be returned to the applicant. Faxed transcripts and other documents are not considered official. Notarized transcripts are not considered official.
- Transfer Students - U.S. transcripts If transferring from a U.S. college or university, please complete the Transfer Clearance Form and send it directly to the SUU International Admissions Office.
- Transfer Students - foreign transcripts - Transfer students must have a 2.0 GPA or higher on a 4.0 US scale. All foreign college transcripts must be translated and then evaluated officially by an authorized translation service. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the school attended to the translation/evaluation service. Students who do not meet these requirements may be considered for admission based on high school performance but will be unable to transfer college credit.
- Insurance All foreign students must provide verification of adequate health and medical insurance.
- Medical Upon arrival at SUU each student MUST submit immunization records. They must also have a TB test within (5) days of arrival. Transportation to the hospital for this test will be provided by the university. TB tests taken outside of the US can not be accepted.
- Finances Funds available at SUU for two academic semesters, calculated annually verified by a bank statement or other official documentation. For current tuition and fees visit www.suu.edu/prostu/intl-cost.html.