International Student Admission Requirements
For admission, please fill out the application either online or use our PDF application. Submit required supporting documents to email@example.com. Once you are admitted, you will be sent a letter of admission and an I-20. You will then schedule a visa interview to obtain your visa to study at SUU. The following information will be required of all foreign students who are applying for admission to Southern Utah University. Additional admission requirements for graduate students are listed at http://www.suu.edu/graduatestudies/international-req.html:
- Application for admission Include a $55 application fee for ESL and undergraduate applications and $65 for graduate/masters applications (U.S. currency only), $35 for returning students. Application deadlines are:
- International freshman and transfer deadline for fall semester July 1st
- International freshman and transfer deadline for spring semester is November 15th
- English Proficiency Proof of English proficiency is required for all applicants whose first language is not English. Applicants with an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or an English speaking country may not be required to take the tests listed below. Students may show proficiency in English by providing scores for any one of the following:
- TOEFL – A minimum score of 525 on the paper based test, 197 on the computer based test or 71 on the Internet based test is required to be admitted to SUU. The official TOEFL score must be sent directly to the International Admissions Office by the educational testing service and must not be over two years old at the time of application. SUU’s TOEFL Code is 4092. Registration information regarding the TOEFL is available at www.toefl.org.
- IELTS International English Language Testing System – Students are required to have a minimum score of 6.0 or higher to be admitted to SUU. Students who wish to take the IELTS should visit the IELTS website for information about the administration of this test and how to report the results to Southern Utah University. The exam must not be over two years old at the time of application.
- Successful graduation from approved English language programs – Students are required to submit a transcript indicating graduation with an overall grade performance of at least 80% or a B average.
- iTEP- Students are required to have a minimum score of 4.1 or higher to be admitted to SUU. Information may be found online at itepexam.com
- ACT English score of 18 or SAT Critical Reading score of 450 will be accepted for proof of English proficiency.
- Transcripts Official transcripts (record of courses taken and grades received) from each high school, college, and university attended must be submitted. Official transcripts must be sent to the SUU International Admissions Office, 351 W. University Blvd., Cedar City, UT 84720. Transcripts submitted become the property of Southern Utah University and cannot be returned to the applicant.
- HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES
If you are a high school graduate, transcripts must be submitted on an official school document which lists the name and address of the school, the dates enrolled, grading systems, description of each subject or examination, and mark or grade earned in each subject or examination. Unless the school attended routinely issues transcripts in English, official records must be submitted in the original language with official English
translations. Translations must be literal and complete and must be translated by an official translation service. Student’s secondary school grades must convert to a minimum U.S. GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- TRANSFER STUDENTS
- If you are a transfer student with foreign transcripts, you must submit an official evaluated transcript of all post-high school coursework from an authorized evaluation service (www.globaleval.org, www.educei.com, www.foreigntranscripts.com, www.wes.org). Transfer students must have a 2.0 GPA or higher on a 4.0 US scale.
- If you have completed less than 24 college credits, we also require the high school transcript in English.
- For a complete articulation of your credits, please submit a course syllabus for each course listed on your transcript. A course syllabus includes information about the content of the course. This will enable us to determine if SUU credit can be given for your transfer credits.
- If applying as a transfer student with a U.S. college or university transcript, you must apply for admission to SUU and turn in all supporting documents. You will receive a letter of acceptance and a Transfer Clearance Form from SUU so the school you are attending can send your government record to us.
- GRADUATE STUDENTS
- If you are a graduate student applicant with foreign transcripts, you must submit an official evaluated transcript of all post-high school coursework from an authorized evaluation service (www.globaleval.org, www.educei.com, www.foreigntranscripts.com, www.wes.org) for each of our graduate programs with the exception of the Master of Fine Arts in Arts Administration and Master of Arts in Arts Administration programs. Graduate students must meet the admission requirements of the individual graduate program.
- For a complete articulation of your credits, please submit a course syllabus for each course listed on your transcript. A course syllabus includes information about the content of the course. This will enable SUU to determine if SUU credit can be substituted by your transfer credits.
- Passport Please provide a copy of the first page of your passport (with photo).
- Insurance All foreign students must provide verification of adequate health and medical insurance upon arrival.
- Medical Upon arrival each student must submit Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) immunization records. Each student must also have a Tuberculosis (TB) test. TB tests taken outside of the US can not be accepted. For TB and MMR, students are given 30 days from the start date listed on their I-20 to comply with our requirements. SUU provides assistance in getting this test done on campus.
- Finances Funds available at SUU for two academic semesters, calculated annually verified by a bank statement or other official documentation. For current tuition and fees visit www.suu.edu/prostu/intl/intl-cost.html.
For more information about the application requirements, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.