Students requesting provisional admission to SUU's Elementary or Secondary Education program must follow the process listed below:
- Applicants must complete an admission packet (Please note: admission packets are routinely updated to reflect changes in test requirements and other admission requirements. Please check to ensure the admission packet you have is current, particularly for information on the required Praxis exams (Elementary or Secondary students). This is the student's responsibility.) Packets are available in the Department of Teacher Education and Family Development, Emma Eccles Jones Education building (ED324). Application due dates are as follows:
Spring admission - Second Tuesday in October
Fall admission - Second Tuesday in February
- Elementary Education majors are required to pass the Praxis Exam 5001 (multiple subjects) with at least a passing score in each of the four testing areas. These tests can be taken together or individually depending on the needs of the student:
- 5002 Reading/Language Arts: passing score 157
- 5003 Mathematics: passing score 157
- 5004 Social Studies: passing score 155
- 5005 Science: passing score 159
- Secondary Education students are required to pass the Praxis I tests (Core Academic Skills for Educators). The Core Academic Skills for Educators tests measure basic skills in reading, writing and mathematics and include multiple-choice questions and an essay question on the writing test. The tests are designed to evaluate whether you have the academic skills needed to prepare for a career in education. SUU uses the Praxis I tests to evaluate individuals for entry into teacher education programs. The following are the minimum test scores required:
5712 Reading test - 170
5722 Writing test - 170
5732 Mathematics test - 170
- Students are responsible for checking the ets.org website in order to register for the correct Praxis exams. The college makes every effort to keep this website updated but is not responsible for students who registor for and take the incorrect test.
- The following website http://www.ets.org. will provide information on the Praxis Series tests.
- Transcripts and a 3.0 cumulative GPA are required for admission. Applicants must submit a copy of transcripts showing courses and current GPA. No course with a "D" grade within general education courses or major courses is accepted for licensure. This includes any transfer credit. (Students must maintain a semester 3.0 GPA. A lower GPA will result in probation. After two semesters of GPA below 3.0 admission will be revoked. A formal appeal through the Professional Practices Committee is required for reinstatement).
- Applicants must complete a group interview. Interviews are held during the first two weeks of each semester (January & September). Contact Shirley Wilson (435)586-7802 to schedule an interview.
- Background check/fingerprints are required. Before a teacher candidate can work in the public schools in extended practicums and clinical practice (student teaching), a criminal background check must be completed. Please refer to the following link for detailed instructions. http://suu.edu/ed/background.html
Finalizing admission to Teacher Education. It is the responsibility of the student to make sure all components of the admission process are complete. Notification of admission status will be completed approximately three weeks after the packet and all necessary information is submitted. Students who are denied admission may appeal through the Professional Practices Committee or reapply in the future.
Policy for Transfer Students. All transfer students must have their teacher education credit hours evaluated by the College of Education Academic Advisor and Chair. Courses older than seven years will not be accepted. Some programs and endorsements may vary.