Mission & Goals
The SUU College of Performing and Visual Arts serves as a catalyst for students to realize their creative potential by providing a personalized and rigorous learning environment, fostering experiential education and contributing to the cultural enrichment of a global society.
Our Strategic Goals
- Cultivate in all SUU students, an appreciation for the value of the performing and visual arts
- Promote positive learning environments for our students as they seek to develop a life-long commitment to the arts
- Offer curriculum that meets or exceeds national standards which includes experiential programming giving students opportunities to develop as artists, educators, scholars and arts leaders
- Create events to enrich the quality of life on the campus, in the community, and extending to the national and international arena
- Empower and support our faculty and staff as superior educators, mentors, artists, scholars and administrators who engage student learning as part of a collaborative, academic and artistic process
- Contribute to students’ development as ethical leaders and responsible citizens in a global community
Our mission and strategic goals are focused on making the arts a vital, visible, accessible, innovative, and integral part of the intellectual and cultural life of Southern Utah University and beyo
The College of Performing and Visual Arts (CPVA) offers undergraduate degrees (BA, BS, BFA, BM) in the departments of Art and Design, Music, and Theatre Arts & Dance. In addition, we offer an interdisciplinary MFA graduate degree in Arts Administration and unique minors in Shakespeare Studies and Museum Studies. SUU is an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), the National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD), and the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). The curriculum and efforts of the highly qualified faculty and staff are further enhanced by affiliations with the Tony award-winning Utah Shakespeare Festival, the Braithwaite Fine Arts Gallery, the American Folk Ballet. the Center for Shakespeare Studies, and the Utah Center for Arts Administration.
The College of Performing and Visual Arts has four learning goals for all students in the college that build on the University’s mission and core themes.
- Communicate effectively
- Develop curiosity, critical and creative thinking skills
- Embrace global awareness, personal responsibility, and artistic integrity
- Process the history, principles, training, skills and knowledge associated with performing and visual arts to facilitate success in their chosen field